Thursday, May 8, 2014

Behind the brand: Natalie Probst Photography


Name: Natalie Probst
Business Name: Natalie Probst Photography
Location: Based in Chicago, IL but working around the Midwest
Occupation: Photographer


What is Natalie Probst Photography & what do you specialize in? I am a freelance photographer focusing on wedding, portrait and editorial photography. 

Of all the creative aspects of your job, which part is your favorite? Collaboration. Whether it be with a couple, an art director or a blogger. I love feeding off of other peoples energy to create something new. 


Are you a full time, one-woman show? Yup! And I honestly love it. I've always wanted to have more control over the work I was producing, and the look of my brand. It's a lot of work, but I honestly feel like I'm living the dream! Ask me this in a few years and I might have a different answer, but for now…I find it exciting, challenging, and invigorating! 

When & why did you decide to start your own business? Owning my own business has always been a dream of mine. My mom owned a store in our hometown when I was younger and it's always been something I planned on doing... I just didn't know when. After studying photography in college, I worked a few jobs, my most recent being a fashion product photographer. Although I have a strong love for fashion, I found myself wanting a little more human interaction (a mannequin can't give you much!) and so I started photographing weddings on the weekends. And totally fell in LOVE! Working with couples is such a rewarding experience and totally took my life in a new direction, one I never would have expected. And so, I left my job back in September to pursue weddings full time, in addition to still working with bloggers and local magazines to feed my love of fashion. I haven't looked back since! 


What advice would you give to those who would want to start their own business? My biggest piece of advice is to find a great mentor and network with those in your industry. I have been lucky to find some great mentors who've offered advice and encouragement, and who've also significantly impacted my business. Find people you're inspired by and ask them to coffee. You'd be surprised at how willing people are to help. 

What's your favorite thing about your job? I love that my passion IS my job, and I feel so lucky to do what I love. Not everyone can say that, but I truly have a passion for what I do. If you don't get excited to get up and go to work, do something else!  


When you're not snapping photos, what can you be found doing? Walking around our neighborhood, trying a new restaurant or enjoying a glass of wine. 

What's the best photography advice you can offer bloggers? Photography is a HUGE component of your blog and dictates the overall look. Stay consistent and find a photographer you click with!


I couldn't live without my: coffee…I've tried to, but it ain't pretty! ;)  

Wanna drop Natalie a line? Send her an email or give her a ring! natalie@natalieprobst.com989 / 450 / 9719

1 comment: